Tuesday, May 26, 2009

cover letter

I am applying for the position of Youth Services Librarian, as posted on the ALA’s Joblist. As preferred, I have recently graduated with a MLS with a focus on youth services from the University at Buffalo, SUNY; an ALA accredited institution. Although I have not been able to work in libraries, I have been working for nearly the last ten years in positions dealing directly with the public in increasingly supervisory roles.


During my education, however, I took part in a practicum at the Main Library at Audubon, which allowed me to gain an understanding of many of the day-to-day library operations including answering reference questions, requesting materials, and dealing with complaints. The children’s librarians also allowed me to assist with their children’s programming, as well as let me plan, organize, and run programs of my own. In addition, they found my assistance and knowledge of graphic novels and other materials valuable when deciding on materials for their children’s and teen collections.


I believe my public library experience, my education, and my years in supervisory customer service positions will provide me with an excellent background to succeed in this position. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your consideration.

No comments: